Lamson & Goodnow, maker of LamsonSharp™ cutlery, is the oldest cutlery manufacturer in the United States. Lamson & Goodnow was established in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts in 1837, and rapidly became the premier cutler in the United States.
But as the American passion for home and hearth grew, so did Lamson & Goodnow.
In 1999, Lamson & Goodnow purchased TreeSpirit™, a company that handcrafts professional-quality hardwood cutting boards, bowls, kitchen utensils, and kitchen care products.
HotSpot™ silicone for the home was added to the Lamson & Goodnow family of brands in 2002. Unusual at the time, silicone is now regarded as a staple of the modern kitchen for its high heat resistance, superior flexibility, and nonstick properties.
Lamson and Goodnow
Customer Service Department
45 Conway Street
Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts 01370
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Tel: (800) 872-6564
Email: [email protected]
Lamson & Goodnow History
A scythe is a hand tool used for cutting grass, grain, or other tall, thin crops. The scythe was based the sickle, which has a short blade and handle and is worked with one hand. The scythe has a long wooden shaft (called a snath) with two handles: one handle at the end and the other roughly in the middle. A long blade with a slight curve is mounted at the other end. A scythe is used by holding both handles and swinging the scythe from side to side in wide sweeping motions. Since it functions as a lever, it has more power than a sickle and is much easier to use.
Silas Lamson was the inventor of the curved scythe snath, an innovation that allows the worker to stand fully erect, making it easier on the back. This had a dramatic impact on agriculture. In 1834, he started Lamson & Goodnow in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts to produce his curved scythe snath.
In 1837, his two sons, Ebenezer and Nathaniel Lamson, together with partner Abel Goodnow, became interested in making knives and started the business that has retained the names of Lamson & Goodnow from that time to the present.
The partnership was successful and enjoyed a steady growth during its early years. Extensive new buildings were erected in Shelburne Falls. Experienced cutlery workers were recruited from both Sheffield, England and Solingen Germany, Europe's two great champions of quality cutlery. Descendants of those workers are still employed by the company.
During the Civil War, the company became one of the largest United States cutlery manufacturers, employing more than 500 workers to meet the demand for their products. It was during this time that Lamson & Goodnow added tableware to their line of professional and agricultural cutlery. Old Lamson & Goodnow catalogs depict a vast variety of items with ivory, horn, and exotic wood handles. The company became known for their quality cutlery.
In 1869, the workmen of Lamson & Goodnow produced a dinner set of 62 pieces for President Ulysses S. Grant. Half of the pieces were set in pearl handles and half in ivory, with American maple leaves engraved on the handles. The workers stated that they felt a "national pride in presenting [the set] to one who will appreciate the perseverance that aims at nothing short of perfection."
President Grant responded in a letter dated November 17, 1869, expressing his thanks for a gift set of cutlery designed and produced expressly for the President as "a testimonial of their respect and esteem."
Today, Lamson & Goodnow cutlery is still handcrafted in Shelburne Falls by American workers. We're proud to say that over a 139 years later, we still produce the finest cutlery and kitchen tools made in America.
A Look at Lamson & Goodnow Today
We're still producing world class cutlery in factory buildings built in 1850.
Originally all the machinery was powered by the Deerfield River. The dam still exists and still generates power.
We have made a few changes over the years. Today, hi-tech lasers, robots, and grinding equipment help our skilled craftsmen turn out fine cutlery.