Shun TW0706 Taiyo 8-1/2" Kiritsuke Blade, Micarta Handles
KSTW0706: Taiyo TW0706
2012 Blade Show Kitchen Knife of the Year
Information from Shun:
Shun Cutlery returned home from the Blade Show with a Kitchen Knife of the Year award for the stunning Shun Taiyo.
The annual Blade Show awards represent the pinnacle of knife-industry awards. The winners are selected by an overwhelming vote of industry members (including representatives from Shun's competitors). Winners are judged on a range of criteria—from design, innovation, and function to craftsmanship and quality.
Taiyo means "sunrise" in Japanese and Shun named this limited edition kitchen knife "Taiyo" for the sunrise-like rays that illuminate the blade surface of this spectacular knife. "We aspired to the highest level of quality on the Taiyo," said Steve Grutbo, Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Housewares Division. "Absolutely nothing was left undone on this superb knife."
The Taiyo's blade is a traditional Japanese kiritsuki blade. Japanese master chefs favor this multi-purpose blade shape and use it in ways similar to the European chef's knife. The Taiyo's blade has a cutting core of SG2 "micro carbide" steel. With SG2's incredibly dense and pure grain structure, it takes and holds a fine edge with unparalleled durability. 160 layers (80 on each side) of Damascus cladding support the SG2 core, add beauty, and are part of the sunrise pattern. The handle is a traditional Japanese octagonal shape, but it twists and becomes rounder as it nears the bolster in order to provide a comfortable grip.
"We have challenged ourselves to be the one knife maker that stands out in the minds of the consumer for quality, design and value," said Mr. Igarashi. "Our ultimate goal is to create a deep connection with the knife user and a sense of pride in owning a Kershaw, Shun or Zero Tolerance product."
- Traditional Japanese 8-1/2" kiritsuke blade shape—this multi-purpose blade shape is favored by Japanese master chefs
- SG2 cutting core of micro-carbide steel is very dense and pure so it takes and holds a fi ne edge with unparalleled durability
- 161 layers (80 on each side + core) construction
- Nickel silver/stainless steel Damascus cladding—supports the core, adds beauty, and forms the sunrise pattern
- Micarta® handle is a traditional Japanese octagonal shape with a twist—it becomes rounder as it nears the bolster for a comfortable grip
- Nickel silver bolster, sub-bolster, endcap
- Full tang construction Limited Production Run of 300 Pieces
- Made in Japan