Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker Cubic Boron Nitride Rods Set of 2 - 204CBN
SP204CBN: Cubic Boron Nitride Rods
These are steel triangles blanketed in a bonding agent then covered in Cubic Boron Nitride particles. Cubic Boron Nitride is a superabrasize that is second in hardness only to diamond. It offers superior abrasion resistance and thermal conductivity compared to conventional abrasives like silicon carbide and aluminum oxide, making it the preferred abrasive in many advanced industrial grinding applications. Now you can combine the advantages of this fast-cutting superabrasive with the convenience and ease of use of Spyderco's Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. Extremely hard abrasives are recommended when you wish to remove stock, for restoration purposes and to aggressively re-shape, re-bevel and re-profile a cutting edge. Use extra caution when using these rods, too much pressure will remove the particles from the steel triangles.
Sold in a pair, 204CBN triangles fit into the 204 Sharpmaker sharpening system.
- CBN grit size is about 40 microns
- CBN abrasive is significantly coarser than the medium ceramic stones
- CBN rods should be used with VERY LIGHT pressure. Recommended use of less than 5 grams (there are 28 grams in an ounce) and excessive pressure may shear the abrasive off the base layer that binds it to the rod.
- Recommended misting the rods with water before use to reduce metal dust and slow the abrasive process
- The rods are ideal for reprofiling the bevel angle of a knife or rebeveling chipped or nicked blades
- Because the abrasive is coarse, users should expect a bit of work with the medium stones afterward if they want to smooth the bevels to the finer grit